With Thanksgiving just around the corner, North Coast Life Insurance would like you to enjoy the holiday festivities, while keeping it safe. Did you know, increased accidents are reported during the holidays?… In fact, the U.S. Fire Administrations recent report “Thanksgiving Day Fires in Residential Buildings” states an estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires are reported each year.
Please remember to take the necessary precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable season for your family, friends and loved ones.
- Keep young children away from the stove/oven
- Use extreme caution when cooking with Turkey fryers
- Do not wear loose sleeves or dangling jewelry
- Turn pot handles in to prevent spills
- Make sure fire alarms are working
- Never leave cooking unattended especially when grilling or frying
- Keep clutter (potholders, food wrappers) away from direct heat source
- Never leave lit candles in an unattended room
- Make sure your oven and ranges have been turned off before leaving the kitchen
- Follow manufacturer guidelines for use of appliances
- Keep a kitchen fire extinguisher in the kitchen, by grill or wherever cooking
- Don’t forget to know the Heimlich Maneuver “This Mama Cooks!” Blog makes some great points about needing to know this and provides a step by step for Adult and Infant choking victims.
Don’t forget about the food safety too. We have so much going on during this time that it is easy to be distracted in a great conversation that we forget about the food sitting out too long. Check out the “Thanksgiving Day Food Safety Tips” for a memory refresh.
Traveling this Holiday Season? For Washingtonians here is the Washington State Department of Transportation information on avoiding those pesky traffic delays.
Follow these tips to ensure a happy and safe holiday for all. From all of us at North Coast Life, Happy Thanksgiving!